19 December 2009

Post-Africa





Ousmane and I spent two months living in the Parcelles neighborhood of Dakar. I guess, I can check another item of my "things to do before 30" list. Dakar was okay, expensive so kind of frustrating to live there, unemployed and on a budget. But I gotta say living right on the beach with my husband for those two months was like an extended honeymoon. On November 6th, exactly one month after our first trip to the embassy, Ousmane received his visa.

After Ousmane got his visa, we decided to high-tail it back to Kedougou to spend the Senegalese holidays there with his family (unfortunately my camera broke before the holidays so no pics). Tabaski was great, the previous volunteer who lived with his family, along with the current volunteer who lives there, were both present. We had a really big sheep and ate meat for a week- yum yum!!

I got back to North Carolina on Dec. 13th after a 9 hr delay (can't complain too much, South Africa put me in first class from DKR to JFK). Ousmane should be here before I start classes next month(Jan. 19). Until then, I'm enjoying my first snow in over three years, hanging out with mom, getting ready for a visit from Kenny, and helping mom with the Christmas baking!

No comments: