16 July 2009

Another round of Ingly





As some of you may know, my closest teammate in Mali, Brooke, is here in Senegal doing research on chimpanzees for the summer. In honor of her visit, I wanted to take her out to see some of the coolest, non-touristy part of Kedougou. So we rode over thirty miles on our bikes Tuesday, in order to reach some magnificent waterfalls, rarely seen by outsiders. Ousmane was also there, which was great because this sort of camping adventure is not something Senegalese often do. So we get out to the falls only to find that there wasn't really any falls just a few trickles of water. That changed however after 5 house at the falls- thunderstorm ensued. And it was a big one- we were in tents but that didn't protect us from the lightning and thunder which was right next to us, soooo loud and earth rumbling! Unfortunately, our tent had holes in the bottom which ended up flooding the tent about 10 minutes into the storm! The storm dies down in the night allowing us to get some sleep, and in the morning the falls were full! However, as soon as the morning fire was built more rain clouds moved in, so we moved out. I had to be back in Kedougou by the evening and the non-waterproof tents, pushed up forward, so we ended up riding our bikes in the rain basically all morning trying to get back to Kedougou. It was great! Spending two adventure-filled days with some of my favorite people.

In other news, I don't know if I told you but in addition to my chicks I also have a duck. And she laid her first eggs the other day, not just one but three! I was so proud- had to take a picture!

PS check my post in October for good pictures of the falls...

No comments: