18 February 2009

WAIST 2009






I've been in Dakar last Sunday doing various things but mainly participating in WAIST activities. It was a lot of fun. I played for Tambagou (combined Tambacounda and Kedougou regions), well, more like we goofed off-but it was great. The costume theme was Peace Corporate (think corporate attire with a crazy Peace Corps twist [you can't see my full ensemble in the pic I had hot pink stocking and cut off pinstripe shorts). There was a contingent of about 20 volunteers from Mali, so I had a really good time catching up with some old friends. The only complaint I have about WAIST- it was so COLD. Dakar is on the ocean and all weekend there was crazy cold winds.

The first picture of artisinal items being sold (I loved the photo)
The second pic is the tambagou team doing some pre-dancing before a game
Then there's Katy, Anna and I (Sikasso PCVs)
Lastly, Me, Laura and Ben drinking some champagne on day 2 of WAIST

I stayed with Bernadette and had a really nice time with her. There was a death in the family next door which is also a part of their family. She was a really old woman whom I never even met. So for 7 days there were numerous people coming in and out (which meant delicious food for lunch and dinner everyday), then Monday was the funeral- a very nice service followed by a really big party at the house.

On Tuesday we had an All Volunteers Conference. It was actually really interesting and useful. There are about 150 volunteers in country but we never really get to share our experiences. Each and every volunteer is doing great work and this allowed volunteers to share lessons learned. thanks for setting it up.

I'm headed back to Kedougou tomorrow in a station wagon with 5 other volunteers. Thanks Dakar
Much love y'all

No comments: